Friday, April 11, 2008

Hook Line and Sinkers

Making you own sinkers. Sometimes strong under sea currents move your sinker around and give you the impression that you have a bite. Well I have made my own sinkers using lead from car’s dead lead acid battery. Though my design is simple, you could make better ones. My idea is that the sinker should lie flat. It never moves even with strong currents. But the drag on retrieve can be a bit high. Below are the sample of some of the sinkers made by me and my friends.


First you need to get and clean (as much as possible) the lead plates from the battery.

Then in a TIN can melt it. Should be done in open area. Lead vapors are poisonous.

Steel band used as a mould. Then the basic shape is formed.

Place the mould on a piece of wood. Open area aligned to the top.

Do the same for the other side and secure it firmly with some string. Then pour molten lead into the opening. To make a hole for the line, I use the bone from a palm tree leaf, dip in coconut oil and quickly drive it thru the molten lead before it hardens. It hardens in about 2 or 3 seconds. Leave to cool down naturally.

Sample of my homemade sinkers.

This one made by my friend using aluminum as a mould. Much soother surface.



Gallery.



I love this quote:-


A bad day of fishing is better than your best day at work.


Tight lines.

No comments: